Jean-Claude is the Founder and Managing Director of the IFBA (International Fitness Business Alliance), an education and consultancy provider whose mission is to make the fitness industry stronger for all – fitness providers, their staff, and the consumer.
The IFBA’s support has helped hundreds of independent fitness businesses across the globe improve the quality and reach of their provision, while also becoming more profitable, sustainable, and socially responsible.
Jean-Claude is also the Founder and Managing Director of the W10 Group of independent gyms, three separate sites across the south-east of the UK.
Based on a coaching-led model that provides a community for the local population based on health and wellbeing, the W10 brand is the standard-bearer for excellence in the independent sector. Each of the three W10 facilities put people at the heart of everything they do, priding themselves on providing an industry-leading staff development pathway and taking a client-centric, customer-service-led approach.
– First hand knowledge of the fitness industry from top to bottom: as well as owning and damaging my own gyms, I’ve been around the world as a personal trainer to learn from the best, and have worked in both commercial and independent facilities as a coach.
– Direct experience of the challenges involved in starting and growing a fitness business: I’ve started my own facility from scratch, learned from my mistakes, and grown the business to three sites – now employing 12 members of staff. I understand the day-to-day operational challenges as well as the big-picture, strategic perspective.
– A cross-industry understanding of commercial forces and consumer behaviour: I have corporate experience in both sales and operations, in various management positions.
– Market insight: I’ve personally coached hundreds of fitness business leaders and have unique insight into the challenges they face. In both businesses, I also work with an extensive network of suppliers, industry influencers, and official bodies, giving me far-reaching insight and opportunities for engagement.
– Stakeholder mobilisation: One of my biggest strengths is rallying the right people around a vision and inspiring them to bring their full potential to the table in pursuit of a common goal. I would bring this energy to champion the ukactive vision to get more people, more active, more often.
I’ve taken part in a number of initiatives to support the health and wellbeing of my own – and the wider – community.
When my local football club (Farnham United Football Club) was in danger of closing down, I stepped up as Chairman and dedicate several days every month to supporting the young people in the area to engage with sport, teamwork, and physical health.
As Founder of W10, I have created four strands to our client offering: Eat, Move, Think, and Belong. These are designed to support our client population to attend to their physical and mental.
W10 is a partner to Magic Breakfast, a charity dedicated to feeding hungry children across the UK. Over the last few years, we have funded thousands of breakfasts to allow young people to be more healthy, active, and engaged with their education.
W10 also runs a local community initiative to support the local rugby club with placements for underprivileged young people in the area.
Through the IFBA, I support hundreds of fitness professionals to become better at what they do, to make their businesses more successful, and to engage their local communities in fitness. Much of this support is available for free in the form of ebooks, interactive guides, and other templates and resources.